Glasson Dock History

Marina Glasson Dock

Glasson Dock is situated just a 10 minute drive South West of the historic City of Lancaster. Prior to becoming a dock, Glasson was the site of small farming and fishing community, known as Old Glasson.

Difficulty in navigation up the River Lune to Lancaster docks lead to the decision by the Lancaster port commission, in 1779, to build a dock at Glasson. The original construction of a pier in 1782 developed problems when the west wall began to bulge. Following unresolved disputes with the original contractor the engineer Thomas Morris was asked to design a dock to be located by the pier. The new construction was completed by March 1787 when the dock, well-equipped and capable of holding up to 25 merchant ships, opened. At its height it was the largest port in the North West, importing cotton, sugar, spices (and even slaves!).

The quay was also connected to the railway network in 1883, operating until the closure of passenger services in 1930 and commercial traffic in 1964. The track bed of the disused line now provides a link to Lancaster by way of the Lune Estuary Cycleway popular with cyclists and walkers year round.

Glasson is still a thriving port handling over 150,000 tonnes of cargo annually and is still used today all year round by cargo ships and pleasure craft alike.

Visitors will find a relaxing and tranquil village where they can enjoy the facilities provided not only by the café bistro, but the village store, two public houses and the famous Port of Lancaster Smokehouse. As well as enjoying the scenic estuary path, the large marina is home to many yachts and canal barges and there is every chance of seeing the swing bridge in action whilst vessels move through the last lock on the Lancaster canal.

Like us on Facebook  Follow us on Twitter  Lantern O'er Lune on TripAdvisor  Lantern O'er Lune on Google+